Someone on Reddit is claiming that they, a 27 year old man, mistook a 12 year old girl for a 17 year old and had sex with her (age of consent in his state is 16). She was in a state facility designed for those with behavioral issues, and he met her at his gym.
In the comments, he states “I figured she was anywhere from 14 to 18. If I had been forced to guess, I would have said 16.” (handy that he says he would put her age at exactly the age of consent) He says he’ll kill himself if he gets convicted. He’s blaming her adviser for saying nothing when they exchanged numbers.
I had to scroll almost to the bottom before I found anyone calling him out for being a skeeve. The rest of the posts are all wishing him well, saying the girl deserves a beating, saying they’ll pray for him, or sharing stories of their own “underage girl who cried rape”.
A few questions:
1. How in the hell does someone think a 12 year old is 17?
2. Why in the hell is a fully grown man chasing after teenagers, especially when they know the teenager is undergoing treatment for behavioral problems?
3. Why is everyone supporting him?
I can pretty much answer my own questions, unfortunately.
1. He didn’t actually think she was 17, but that sounds a hell of a lot better than “I wanted to bang a 12 year old”.
2. He knows teenagers are easier targets for sexual predators, [i]especially[/i] if they’re struggling with getting their shit together.
3. His supporters want to be able to get away with the same thing because they’re creepy fuckers.
I genuinely think this is why so many (mostly straight white) men fight so vehemently against the exposure of rape culture and reformation of laws related to sex crimes. The smaller that “grey area” gets, the harder it is for them to get away with rape.
All of those guys who are claiming that they also have stories about underage girls crying rape should probably be hunted down.